Baby, it’s cold outside…so let’s get warm with a new ear warmer pattern! I give you: the Snowman Ear Warmer.
This post contains the free pattern for the toddler sized ear warmer, but for just a few dollars, you can purchase the full pattern on Ravelry that is sized for toddlers through adults and includes a color chart for the wayuu tapestry.
Without further ado, let’s get down to the toddler size!
- Two colors of worsted weight yarn. I used Caron Simply Soft in White and Vanna’s Choice in Navy.
- Size 4.5mm crochet hook. I used my trusty Clover Amour hook.
- Needle for weaving in ends
- Stitch Markers
- SC – single crochet
- FSC – foundation single crochet
- MSC – modified single crochet
- BLO – back loop only
- SL ST – slip stitch
Gauge: 18 stitches x 20 rows = 4” square
Finished Dimensions: when folded flat, toddler-sized finished product should measure roughly 3.5” tall and 8.5″ wide.
- The snowman pattern is created through wayuu tapestry, where you will use MSC in BLO so that the stitches are stacked neatly on top of each other. This prevents the design from leaning to one side.
- For cleaner color changes, switch colors in the last step of the prior stitch. For this pattern, that means you will yarn under and pull through with your new color to finish a stitch.
- If you have never done a foundation single crochet (FSC), this video may help (tutorial starts at 1:30).
- Modified Single Crochet (MSC) is similar to regular SC, except for two things. I found this video from All Tapestry Crochet helpful.
- You stitch in the back loop only.
- You will yarn under instead of yarning over before pulling through for the last time.
- Tapestry section is done in unjoined rounds. The first stitch of each round should be done directly into the first stitch of the last round. This video from Loops and Love Crochet discusses color changes (though she is using HDC rather than MSC).
- It is important in tapestry crochet to be aware of your tension. If you pull too tightly, it will impact the stretch of your ear warmer.
- Row and stitch counts within pattern shown as child (teen, adult).
- Numbers in [ ] indicate number of stitches in a row or round as [child, teen, adult].
- Color graphs appear below the pattern directions if that is easier for you to follow. Each graph represents one snowman repeat, and your ear warmer should have six snowmen. The graphs should be read from left to right.
Ribbing (in white)
Row 1: FSC 2, turn .
Row 2 -71: Ch 1, SC BLO across, turn [2 ].
Fold ribbing in half and SL ST across to create circular band.
Round 1: SC around, adding 7 stitches evenly throughout. SL ST to first stitch .
Attach background color
Round 2: in background color MSC 4. *switch to white and MSC 6, switch to background color and MSC 7*. Repeat from * to * four more times. Switch to white and MSC 6. Switch to background color and MSC 3.
Round 3: MSC 3. *switch to white and MSC 8, switch to background color and MSC 5*. Repeat from * to * four more times. Switch to white and MSC 8. Switch to background color and MSC 2.
Round 4 – 5: Repeat round 3.
Round 6: MSC 4. *switch to white and MSC 6, switch to background color and MSC 7*. Repeat from * to * four more times. Switch to white and MSC 6. Switch to background color and MSC 3.
Round 7: MSC 5. *switch to white and MSC 4, switch to background color and MSC 9*. Repeat from * to * four more times. Switch to white and MSC 4. Switch to background color and MSC 4.
Round 8 – 9: Repeat round 6.
Round 10: Repeat round 7.
Round 11: MSC 6. *switch to white and MSC 2, switch to background color and MSC 11*. Repeat from * to * four more times. Switch to white and MSC 2. Switch to background color and MSC 5.
Round 12 – 13: Repeat round 11.
Round 14: SC around in background color. SL ST to first stitch and fasten off .
Weave in your ends, and you’re done! Congrats on making your Snowman Ear Warmer! If you share it on instagram, please tag me @sarahsyarn or using #snowmanearwarmer or #sarahsyarn.
This pattern is an original design by Sarah’s Yarn and is for personal use only. Please do not redistribute, sell, or edit this pattern. You may sell items made from this pattern, but please credit Sarah’s Yarn as the original pattern creator.